In Brief …..
What is Social Media
Social media facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks.
Social media use web-based technologies, desktop computers and mobile technologies (e.g., smartphones and tablet computers) to create highly interactive platforms through which individuals, communities and organizations can share, co-create, discuss, and modify user-generated content or pre-made content posted online.
Social media changes the way individuals and large organizations communicate.
Social Media’s Roles
Social media, is becoming an increasingly important part of any business’s marketing and client base development platform. The perception of social media marketing has shifted quickly—no longer viewed as a trendy or passing fad, having a flexible and well-managed presence in each of the “big three” (Facebook, Twitter, and Google+) has become a must for any business seeking to secure a place in both the traditional and digital marketplace.
On Line Social Media
Social media is commonly used to describe social networking sites such as:
1. Facebook – an online social networking site that allows users to create their personal profiles, share photos and videos, and communicate with other users
2. Twitter – an internet service that allows users to post "tweets" for their followers to see updates in real-time
3. LinkedIn – a networking website for the business community that allows users to create professional profiles, post resumes, and communicate with other professionals and job-seekers.
4. Pinterest – an online community that allows users to display photos of items found on the web by "pinning" them and sharing ideas with others.
5. Snapchat – an app for mobile devices that allows users to send and share photos of them doing their daily activities.
Social media technologies take many different forms including blogs, business networks, enterprise social networks, forums, microblogs, photo sharing, products/services review, social bookmarking, social gaming, social networks, video sharing, and virtual worlds.
Social Media in Business Potential
Social media sites are increasingly implementing marketing-friendly strategies, creating platforms that are mutually beneficial for users, businesses, and the networks themselves in the popularity and accessibility of e-commerce, or online purchases. Users are able to poste their comments on specific company’s product/service by sharing their views on line with friends and communities. The company benefits because it obtains insight (positive or negative) about how their product or service is viewed by consumers. Mobile social media applications such as Amazon.com and Pinterest have started to influence an upward trend in the popularity and accessibility of e-commerce, or online purchase.
Build Business Relationships in Facebook
Have you considered using Facebook groups to build your business?
Facebook groups offer a proven way to form lasting, productive connections that generate leads.
- With millions of active groups on Facebook, there truly is a group for every interest. In this networking, you can track down groups within your industry to connect with your peers and prospective customers.
- To build a solid reputation and real relationships, your goal should not be to sell or promote, but to be helpful. Focus on being of service by asking and answering questions and engaging with other group members.
- These activities result in relationships and connections that turn into sales, referrals and partnerships for your business.
- Being active in Facebook groups offers a way to help drive people to your Facebook page.
- Business happens in real time and using a group with customers or other interested individuals gives you a convenient way to keep members informed about products and services and share information.
- For online businesses or newer business owners who don’t have a 24/7 customer support network in place, an active Facebook group gives customers a place to connect, collaborate and share.
- Build a group to facilitate connections among your customers and encourage brand ambassadors to engage on your behalf.